Conflicting material released on Wednesday by the broadcaster Piers Morgan’s team and Donald Trump’s team showed Morgan’s recently conducted interview with the former president in radically different lights.
At issue is whether Trump angrily stormed out or whether, as Trump’s team suggested, the footage was cut that way to publicize Morgan’s new show, which is to debut next week and feature the interview. Regardless, the conflicting narratives will almost certainly raise interest in their discussion.
Trump was listed as Morgan’s first guest on his new show, “Piers Morgan Uncensored.” In preview footage that was tweeted out Wednesday, the English broadcaster told the former president that he lost in 2020, and that it was a “free and fair election.”
“Only a fool would think that,” Trump answered.
“You think I’m a fool?” Morgan responded.
“I do now, yeah,” Trump said, telling Morgan he was much more honest than him. In Morgan’s footage, Trump then said he’d like to finish up the interview and asked for the camera to be turned off, referring to Morgan as “very dishonest.”
The audio supplied by Trump’s team cast portions of the interview in a much different light, with Morgan telling Trump repeatedly that he was asking his “last question.” At one point, the voice of Trump spokesperson Taylor Budowich can be heard saying, “Is that the last question? You’ve said ‘the last question’ four times now.” Trump then responds with a comment about Morgan being deceptive, though there’s no sign of animosity.
Both sides agreed on at least one thing: After the interview ended, Trump told Morgan he’d recently had a hole-in-one while playing golf.
Trump later issued a statement about the interview.
"Piers Morgan, like the rest of the Fake News Media, attempted to unlawfully and deceptively edit his long and tedious interview with me," he said, without explaining about what was unlawful about the editing.
Trump added: "The good news is that the interview was taped by us as a means of keeping him honest."
Morgan, who’s making his return to television after a controversial exit from “Good Morning Britain” last year, was to offer more details about his interview with Trump in a column that will run in the New York Post on Thursday.
The interview is to debut April 25 on Fox Nation, as well as the TalkTV website.
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd,
racist or sexually-oriented language. PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK. Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another
person will not be tolerated. Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone
or anything. Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism
that is degrading to another person. Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on
each comment to let us know of abusive posts. Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness
accounts, the history behind an article.
(0) comments
Welcome to the discussion.
Log In
Keep it Clean. Please avoid obscene, vulgar, lewd, racist or sexually-oriented language.
PLEASE TURN OFF YOUR CAPS LOCK.
Don't Threaten. Threats of harming another person will not be tolerated.
Be Truthful. Don't knowingly lie about anyone or anything.
Be Nice. No racism, sexism or any sort of -ism that is degrading to another person.
Be Proactive. Use the 'Report' link on each comment to let us know of abusive posts.
Share with Us. We'd love to hear eyewitness accounts, the history behind an article.